On January 13, 2020 at 11:01 p.m., the Wyandotte Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire on 21st and Walnut. A passerby noticed smoke coming from the residence and called 911. Once inside, crews encountered heavy smoke and flames along with a heavy fire load for a residence. The first and second floors burned through prior to arrival, making the structure unstable.
The fire reached a peak burn point at some time prior to being noticed resulting in a fire decay process starting as oxygen was depleted. Based on the conditions, it appears the fire had smoldered for many hours. Once the door was opened and oxygen could enter the home, the fire grew once again. This is the point the crews attempted to extinguish a fully involved house fire. It was determined that the 1.75” hand line hoses could not extinguish the fire and more water was needed from a larger source.
The water mains could not keep up with the volume needed to extinguish such a large fire. All hydrants worked properly, and water was provided through properly working hydrants. This was a unique situation in a residential area based on the amount of fire the crews encountered. Crews exhausted the residential hydrants, which are fed from 6” water mains, in proximity to the address. An additional supply line was provided coming from a 12” water main at Fort Street and Walnut.
The following day, January 14, 2020, the water department confirmed that all valves were functioning properly. The hydrants worked properly and the associated water mains functioned as designed to support normal residential needs for the area. The fire was simply a very large fire caused by significant amount of combustible material in the house that had a head start prior to our fire department being notified. These factors created a demand for water that required multiple hydrants and locations to be utilized.
The Recreation Commission meeting scheduled for December 11, 2019 has been rescheduled for Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.