Wayne County’s Department of Environment hosts four Household Hazardous Waste Collections each year for County residents.
The collections are designed to accept unwanted household chemicals for proper disposal and electronics for recycling from residents. Dates, times and locations of the events are posted on the Department of Environment website. There may be a charge for certain items, please inquire.
The HHW collections run from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and are scheduled for:
Belleville HHW event - 4/1/2023 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
Dearborn HHW event - 6/17/2023 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
Westland HHW event - 8/26/2023 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
Taylor HHW event - 10/21/2023 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Please click here to view the event flyer.
The Wayne County Land Resource Management Division also has information on disposal of computers and prescription medication. You may visit their site for more information.
Only household generated products from Wayne County residents will be accepted.
Items that are accepted include:
• household paints, stains, dyes
• floor care items, furniture polish, bathroom cleaners
• lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers
• antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline
• automotive batteries, dry cell batteries, propane tanks
• old computers, printers, scanners, TV’s, cell phones, fax machines
• mercury containing thermometers* and other devices
• fluorescent light bulbs (standard and compact)
Items that are not accepted include:
• commercial waste, industrial waste
• ammunition, explosives
• 55-gallon drums
• smoke detectors, radioactive materials
• unknown, unlabeled waste
• shock sensitive materials
• fire extinguishers
• household trash
Residents are encouraged to bring in mercury fever thermometers for disposal. Mercury is a toxic substance and can cause serious health effects if released into a home or the environment. For more information, please contact Wayne County’s Resource Recovery Coordinator at 734-326-3936.
Did you know that Wayne County residents now can recycle their household hazardous waste items five days per week at a contractor facility in Livonia?
Household Hazardous Waste Collection vouchers must be picked up by Wayne County residents in person. The vouchers are provided by Wayne County Department of Public Services and provide a convenient option for residents to recycle their hazardous waste and help alleviate the long lines at Wayne County's Household Hazardous Waste collection events.
There is no charge to the Wayne County resident when the voucher is used.
- Step 1: Wayne County residents can obtain one voucher per household by; visiting the Department of Public Services at 4201 13th St. There is a limited supply of vouchers, which will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Step 2: Next take your County issued voucher, along with acceptable items, to ERG Environmental Services at 13040 Merriman Road, Livonia, MI 48150.
Drop Off days and times are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.