Presenting Business, Addressing the Council, and Dress Code
Addressing the Council
RESOLVED by the City Council that effective, immediately, persons may address the City Council under the following rules:
- Any person may submit a communication in writing to the Mayor and City Council. One may do so by submitting a single original document addressed to the Honorable Mayor and Council to the Office of the City Clerk no later than 4:30pm the Thursday prior to the Council Meeting at which they wish to appear or have their communication read. The submitted item will appear on the agenda in New Business. All communications, records, or any other information submitted to the City Clerk’s Office to be placed on the City Council agenda will be treated as a public record and will be placed upon the city website.
- Any person may address the Mayor and Council during the Call to the Public portion of the meeting.
- Any person may address the Mayor and Council at the conclusion of Council discussion of each agenda item and when public comment is requested by the Mayor or a member of the Council.
- Each person who wishes to address the Council shall approach the podium and state his or her name and address.
- The total time that a person may address the City Council is three (3) minutes unless the City Council, by majority vote, suspends this rule.
- When the time limit expires, the Mayor shall so notify the speaker and permit him or her to complete their address within thirty (30) seconds.
- If the speaker has not finished at the end of thirty (30) seconds, the Mayor or other presiding official shall strike the gavel and direct the speaker to cease their address immediately.
- Personal attacks directed toward any officer, employee, or City Council member will not be tolerated. Offensive, threatening, or abusive language shall not be used when addressing the City Council. Comments shall be spoken to the Mayor, and communication between the speaker and audience will not be permitted.
- Individuals not complying with directives to remain orderly shall be asked to leave the Council Chambers, or be removed by the proper authorities as directed by the Mayor.
(Resolution #2018-130, 4-9-2018)
City Council adopted a dress code under the authority of Section 3 of the Michigan Open Meetings Act and Section 71 of the Wyandotte City Charter that states as follows:
"To maintain the dignity and decorum of the City Council Meetings and so as not to disrupt said meetings no person shall be allowed to attend and/or address the Wyandotte City Council unless they are dressed in proper attire. Persons not wearing shoes or wearing inappropriate clothing such as tank top-type I-shirts, bathing suits. and inappropriate shorts and men's hats or caps or the like shall be excluded from the meetings."
Signs advising the public of these rules are posted on the first floor of the City Hall Building and immediately outside the City Hall Chambers.
Meetings are held each Monday, with the exception of city holidays and closures, at 7:00PM
All City Council Meetings may be viewed on Local Access Channel 16 on the following dates and times:
(Resolution 7/12/2005, unanimous)
Monday at 11:00 pm
Tuesday at 9:00 am and 1:30 pm
Friday at 11:00 am, 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm
Saturday at 9:00 am