What codes does the City of Wyandotte enforce?
Click here for more information about the building code. Copies of the code books are available for purchase on the State of Michigan website. The City of Wyandotte has also adopted a Property Maintenance Code Ordinance #1094 which may be found by visiting Municode's website.
When do I need to pull a permit?
If you are doing any structural changes or building a new building a permit is required. If you are doing any electrical, plumbing or mechanical upgrades; replacing City sidewalks, driveway or driveway apron; installing a pool a permit is required. For more information about the types of permits and fees associated with them, you may visit the Engineering and Building Department website.
Does a Building Permit also include electrical, mechanical or plumbing work?
No, separate permits are required for electrical, mechanical and plumbing. For more information about the types of permits and fees associated with them, you may visit the Engineering and Building Department web page.
How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
In most cases; electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits can be issued right away. Building and Concrete Permits require additional time for processing and are typically issued within 24 to 48 hours.
Is a permit required for a new fence?
No, a permit is not required; however fences must be installed in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance Section 2406 Fences which may be found online.
Do I need a permit to paint addresses on curbs?
No, but please adhere to the guidelines below:
- Only house numbers painted on the face of curbs are permitted. No logos, designs, graphics or symbols of national, military, religious, sports, flags, college/university are permitted. Such logos, designs, graphics, and symbols may be registered trademarks and may have copyrights.
- Only street numbers are to be painted on the curb. Full addresses are not permitted. Street numbers are not to exceed a height of six inches, and shall be either black on a white background, or white on a black background.
- The painted curb number is not a replacement for the address that must be permanently affixed to the house.
- The person(s) performing the painting shall notify the property owner whether the curb painting service being solicited is for payment or “charitable donation.” Charitable donations are not mandatory contributions.
- The person(s) must first obtain permission of the property owner before painting any house number on the curb. If the work is performed before obtaining the property owner’s permission, the property owner is not obligated to provide payment for the curb painting services.
- The person(s) shall wear high visibility clothing, such as a vest or jacket while occupying the road space from curb to curb.
- Curb number painting shall only be performed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. No painting shall be performed on Sundays.
- The person(s) performing the numbering shall have in their possession the permit issued by the city and valid identification at all times.
- Any complaints from property owners may result in the revocation of this permit.
- Any person who fails to comply with these guidelines is in violation of Section 32-2 and Section 25-60 of the City of Wyandotte Code of Ordinances.
Resolution 2018-190, 4-30-2018
How can I reach an inspector if I have a question?
The Building Inspectors, for permit related questions, are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 10:00 am and from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. The Plumbing and Mechanical Inspectors, for permit related questions, are available Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 am to 9:00 am.
Can I start work without a permit?
No, a permit must be secured before work can begin. Work started without a permit is subject to a fine in the amount of $125.00.
What type of fees should I anticipate when applying for a permit?
A plan review fee maybe required at time of application depending on the type of permit being requested. In most cases, fees are paid at time of issuance of permit. Click here to view the permits and fees page.
Is an inspection required if I am selling my home?
Yes, an inspection is required for the sale of any dwelling in the City of Wyandotte. Inspections for sale are done on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am and from 11:30 am and 2:00 pm. Applications and fees associated with this may be found at the Engineering and Building Department web page.
Is an inspection required if I want to rent my home?
Yes, an inspection is required. Also, you are required to register the home as rental with the City Clerk’s Office. Inspections for rental properties are done on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am and from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm. Applications and fees associated with this may be found at the Engineering and Building Department web page.
If I have questions regarding my inspection how can I reach in inspector?
The Upon Sale and Rental Inspectors are available for questions on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 am to 9:00 am. However, the Engineering and Building Staff is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm to assist you.